Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rock and Road Worship Show 2016

For a year and a half I have been trying to find a way to meet up with the Newsboys and see them in concert; A YEAR AND A HALF! I was determined and was not going to give up.

It started in the summer of 2014 when I noticed that the Newsboys were going to be performing at the Iowa State Fair. I knew that Cool Dude's drum group Sheltered Reality was going to perform there also, so I contacted the leader and asked when the drum group would be performing, because if it corresponded with the Newsboys we would go up there, and Cool Dude could perform and we could see the Newsboys. Nope, opposite weekends, so that didn't work out.

Then, at Christmas 2014 we decided to go to Branson, MO. I saw that the Newsboys were going to be there too and I was looking up the info about this only to discover that they were going to be there for a youth conference, so, once again, not working out for us.

In September 2015 I learned the Newsboys were coming to the KS state fair. Are you kidding me--that's only 40 minutes down the road for us! Can you imagine my disappointment when I learned they were going to be there while we were on our family vacation? Ahhhhhhhh!!! So close, yet so far away.

So, when I discovered that the Newsboys were going to be a part of the 2016 Rock and Road Worship Show I declared to my family that we were going--no ifs, ands, or buts. I learned the closest location was going to be in Tulsa. This is a concert where people can pay $10 and get to see several of the top Christian artists perform their hits. If you didn't want to stand in line for a few hours to pay the $10, there were two VIP levels you could buy. I believe the next level was $50 and that would get you in the door earlier and an opportunity to get any seat you wanted, plus a T-shirt, some free song downloads, and the chance to experience a Q and A session with most of the artists. The next level was the Newsboys experience which included all of the same extras as the other VIP level, but you also got to meet the Newsboys. The price for this was a little over $100. I was going to be okay if we decided to spring for the first VIP level, but not the more expensive one. So, one night my husband shows me his phone to show me that he bought the tickets, and I did a double take because the phone showed we had tickets to the Newsboys Experience level! Okay, I was thrilled and I cried. I kept saying this was too much money, but he said we were doing it because I hardly ever spend money on myself, which is actually quite true, so I wasn't going to be foolish and keep arguing about it. LOL!

On February 6 we headed to Tulsa. We checked into our hotel, went and grabbed some dinner, and then made it to Oral Roberts University where the concert was. We arrived at 3:45 because our tickets said to be there by 4:00 and the doors to let VIP holders would open at 4:30. There was already a good line started for both the VIP ticket holders and the general admission concert goers, but we weren't too far back. Thankfully, the weather wasn't terrible, and we managed to stand outside in just our jackets not needing hats or gloves. When 4:30 came, the doors were not opening. It wasn't until 5:00 when the doors finally opened. As we were walking into the venue, the local radio station was interviewing the lead singer from Audio Adrenaline.


Once inside, we were directed towards the seating area and picked out what seats we wanted. We chose seats on the floor by the stage. I felt it was too close and kept going up into the stadium seating to see if there might be better, more comfortable seating. Since the rest of the family wanted to be on the floor, I finally consented. Even though we were seated in folding chairs, we were actually quite comfortable, and we had a great view of the stage. It worked out well. The first thing we witnessed was the Q and A with most of the artists. This didn't last too long. Before they took the stage, people were encouraged to text questions and then some were chosen to be read to the artists for them to answer. At the most this was 10 minutes.


When that was done, we got to go to the gymnasium where the Newsboys were to shake hands and get a picture taken with them. This was super duper fast. I wanted to just chat with them for a bit and ask some questions but we were kind of hurried through. Princess was first in our family's line followed by myself, Cool Dude, and Hubby. It was all so fast and such a blur I'm not even sure I was aware of exactly what was going on. I remember everyone shaking our hands, Lauren getting asked her name by the drummer, Duncan, then he complimented me by saying, "And this must be Lauren's younger sister." Haha! What a flatterer. I told him that was very sweet and he said, "Let me give you a hug." Michael introduced himself and I shook his hand and introduced myself. I have no idea what was going on with my guys except they were getting their VIP lanyard tags autographed by the band members. When it was picture time, Duncan called for Lauren to come stand by him, and Michael slid over to let me stand by him, and he put his arm around me. The other band members Jeff and Jody were so cordial and polite. They thanked us for coming and told us to enjoy the show.


The concert was amazing! I mean amazing! It was so fun to sing the songs we hear on the radio and sing along with Audio Adrenaline, Citizens Way, Jeremy Camp, Mandisa, Phil Wickham, Danny Gokey, and of course the Newsboys. The only group we had not heard of was Family Force 5. They wore crazy outfits, jumped on trampolines, were very high energy. I couldn't understand a word they were singing. I know one song was about a chainsaw, and another was about a button. Not my cup of tea, but a lot of other people were enjoying them. I'm not sure that the pictures do everything justice. We really were close to the stage, but I think the pics show that we were farther away than we actually were. Even though we were on the floor, we had found some seats that had a large walkway in front of us, so we were not directly behind other people, so we had no one blocking our views. Besides the main stage, there was a long runway stage that jutted out from the center of the stage that the artists walked on to get closer to the crowd. We were so close to them!


When the concert was over, we went out to the vendor booths in hopes of seeing some of the artists. Danny Gokey was at his booth, so we got a picture with him. Princess was so hoping to see Mandisa, so we stopped at her booth to ask if she would be making an appearance, but she wasn't going to. Although we didn't buy any souvenirs, most of the things being sold were amazing prices, such as CDs starting at $10.


Ever since the concert, hearing the Newsboys songs on the radio just don't seem as wow to me, unfortunately. They just were so good in concert that hearing them on the radio just pales in comparison. I think that once their new songs come out I'll feel differently because they will be new and I haven't experienced them in person. The concert was also emotional. If being in a group of thousands worshiping God does not move you, then I would have to wonder what is wrong with you. Princess was brought to tears a couple of times just by the sheer overwhelming of the power of God that was present. Each artist shared personal stories, as well encouragement for everyone since we seem to be living in such perilous times right now. I wish I could experience this concert all over again. It's worth it. Go if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment