Several places in the Bible talk about widows and how we should help take care of them. I totally agree. I know older widows, but I also know younger widows. One of the widows I know lives across the street from us and we affectionately call her Ms. Ruth. She is 85 years old but still so physically, mentally, and spiritually stable. She has lived in her house in this community since the 1970s and knows everybody! She is referred to as the Mayor of the North Side of the Lake because she is always keeping up on everybody and knows all things that are going on. I have had some great conversations with her regarding life and she is so full of wisdom. I have especially enjoyed our conversations regarding Christianity--she is a great person of the faith. I will always remember one day when she invited me into her home to show me pics of her deceased husband and then she broke down in tears missing him so much. It was very touching. She and her husband never had children of their own and she was the youngest child of 4 siblings who lived into their 90s before passing away, so she may have several more good years ahead of her. She does have extended family, but the closest relative is about 3 hours away. However, there are several families in our community who constantly are checking on her and treat her like a mom, so she is well looked after. She also has many widowed friends that she spends time with, meeting them for lunches and dinners. She also has a little dog she takes care of. I hope she never feels too lonely. We always know when Ms. Ruth is home because she always keeps her front door open. She enjoys spending time sitting out on her front porch visiting with people who come by on their walks, so whenever my kids see her out they always want to go over and chit chat with her. They went to visit with her the other day and I just had to snap this precious pic of them visiting. I am so glad we have this beautiful widow in our lives.
 |
| Evan is sitting across from Ms. Ruth (in the striped jogging pants) chatting while Lauren is bending over to pet her dog. |
 |
| Our beloved Ms. Ruth! |
No comments:
Post a Comment