I can't keep my mouth shut! I am so sick of this one way street when it comes to tolerance in this country. Here is the definition of the word tolerance based on the Merriam-Webster dictionary: sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own; the act of allowing something : toleration. The world looks at us Christians and expects us to demonstrate the definition of tolerance to everybody else in this world, but when we take a stand that differs from what others believe we do not receive tolerance and instead they call us hateful, bigots, hypocrites. Yep, this is the society and country we now live in--one that was originally built by people to ensure freedom of speech and religion, one built by people who wanted to be able to worship God freely. But, let's face it...that is not what this country is any more. It's not. We are a country that believes that people can take a stand against killing trees, but killing babies is acceptable. We are a country that believes teachers of a Muslim faith can wear a head covering to their job, but a Christian teacher is not even allowed to wear a pair of cross earrings to work. We are a country that believes the government knows best for us and instead of the government representing the people, we have become a country where the government controls the people.
I write this post in the midst of the controversy of Chick-Fil-A's
stance that a marriage is between a man and a woman. The founder holds
this stance because that is what the Bible believes. But, what has
happened as a result? Tons and tons of backlash! Where is the tolerance
for this man and his belief about marriage? Everybody who holds a
different belief considers this man and his company intolerant, yet they
don't see that how the way they are reacting to him is indeed intolerant. Talk
about ignorant people! Talk about a one way street! Talk about bigots
and hypocrites! What is a Christian to do?
This is the verse that has spurned me to write this post:
Mark 8:37-38: Is anything worth more than your soul? If
anyone is ashamed of me and my message in these adulterous and sinful
days, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in
the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
Oh My Goodness! Do you know how much this verse kind of scares me? It can be so hard to take a stand for God because you will be persecuted at times. Persecution can come in the form of ridicule, outcasting, and for some people it's their life. That is scary to think about.
I am a Christian. I believe there is a God. I believe He had a son named Jesus who walked this earth and died on a cross in order to show us just how much He loved us and wants us to be in Heaven with Him some day. I believe He rose again from the grave. I believe in a book called the Bible that tells us not just stories, but history of how this world was created, and about real live people who experienced amazing feats in their lives that all glorified God. If you don't believe this, fine, but I do expect you to be tolerant of me, just like even though I may not agree with your morals and beliefs, I have to be tolerant of them. End of story, now let's get on with our lives.
For those of you who are Christians and upset like me, here are some scriptures to keep your heart, spirit, and mind steady:
2 Timothy 3:16-17: Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or
another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our
mistakes, training us to live God's way. Through the Word we are put
together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us. (The Message).
John 16:33, " In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Revelation 21:3-5: I
heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now
among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people.
God himself will be with them. He
will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death
or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”
Hang in there fellow believers, because we know the end of the story and it is good, although the road to the end isn't always so good. Take a stand and support your brothers and sisters in Christ who also take a stand. We really do have each other to lean on--we are not alone!
Amen, Sister!!!
ReplyDelete