Some people are humble peace keepers like my Hubby. There are some wonderful qualities in that that I admire and sometimes I wish I had more of. However, even that personality has it's drawbacks sometimes. Than there are the people like me who try to go with the flow until they reach a conclusion that it's time to take a stand, and when they do take a stand it may not be as tactful as they'd like it to be. Again, good points and bad. Here's an example.
Princess's dance recital is this weekend. It is on Saturday AND Sunday. For two days taking up our entire weekend I would have to watch a couple of hours worth of the same dancing (the rest of the family would only have to attend once). To me this absurd and a waste of time. A couple of weeks ago on a Saturday I had to take her for recital pictures. As I stood in the hall waiting for pictures to be completed, I overheard a bunch of other moms expressing the same thoughts and feelings I had regarding the two recitals. Here's the difference between them and me...I said something to the dance owner while the other moms just whispered about it behind her back.
I sent an email to the owner asking why recitals were this way. Her reply was that she's always done them this way because it allows all friends and family members who might not be able to make it on one day be able to make it the next day, plus it gives the girls an extra day to dance which in her opinion is a wonderful opportunity to just dance, dance, and dance. I wish I had known this when I signed Lauren up at this studio, but nothing was mentioned about there being two recitals; just that there would be a recital in May. Every other dance studio that I know of does one recital and that's it.
I told the owner that because this Sunday is Mother's Day Lauren would not be participating in that day's recital. The owner did not like that and asked me to reconsider because her group needs her. No, they really don't because I've already seen their routine and it's not like there is any partnering up, and her group will not need her that day.
Princess asked me about Sunday and I explained to her my decision and why I decided that way. There have been other times we have had to take stands as a family and make other things a priority and my kids have learned to except that and handle it really well even if they don't like it. Eventually they are able to see the fruits of taking those stands and how it all worked out in the end.
Now, if some of these other moms who feel the same way would just say something to the owner than things might change in the future. It's the same way with politics. Everyone grumbling about things they don't like, but they won't take a stand. Or worse yet, how about those people who claim they are Christians yet won't take a stand for God for the sake of political correctness, embarrassment, or the thought that maybe they would face some kind of persecution like bullying, harassment, or maybe even losing their lives. Our world is changing; evil is being seen as good and good is being seen as evil. We Christians can't always be tolerant doormats. For example, If we take a peaceful stand for traditional marriage, we are automatically seen as unloving, untolerant bigots, but yet those who are calling us that don't see the irony in that they are being unloving, untolerant bigots. Our voices have to be heard. We are the light and salt of the earth. God is depending on us to speak for Him. Now I know my example with the dance recital is not quite the caliber of political issues, but I just wanted to get my feelings and thoughts out about both. Sometimes stands just need to be taken in the little things as well as the big things.
Who and what do you stand for?
No comments:
Post a Comment