Well....when I wrote about this being a year of change, I didn't realize that meant for me personally. I mean, we're always learning and growing, but God's got something BIG coming my way. How do I know? Because I'm under attack from the enemy. I am constantly battling emotions and my thoughts on almost a daily basis. It is tiring me out. It's even effecting my dreams. But, I do know that I've matured so much in Christ, that I have ways to combat these thoughts.
Have you ever read Joyce Meyer's book Battlefield of the Mind? It's awesome!!!! For me, growing up in a negative environment with parents who seemed angry with the world, and not being taught how to be a Christian, I went into my adulthood angry, suffering from depression, relying on self help books to help me, almost taking depression medication that as soon as I tried one pill I couldn't believe the euphoria of emotion but I couldn't take another one because I knew I would become addicted, always hoping someone would tick me off so I could argue and fight--I was mean and a mess. I sought counseling in my 20s and that helped, but what really helped me was when I was called to church and began a true relationship with God and His fabulous Word. Based on that I have encountered many Bible studies that were so useful in helping me spiritually mature. Battlefield of the Mind was not a study I did, but I read it on my own and it taught me how to use scripture as well as other tactics to fight my thoughts. It really was life changing. It might be time for me to go through that book again, because this attack from the enemy is a real fight and it's making me weary. The only reason it must be happening is because God's got something big for me to learn and the enemy's trying to prevent it.
The only thing I know from past experiences is that these things usually take a while--weeks to months--until I'm finally broken free of whatever bondage I'm in. I'm hoping this won't take months, but that's not my track record with these things. All I know is that once I'm about to throw in the towel, that's when Jesus rescues me. I'm not sure why He lets it get to that point, but that always seems to be the way it goes. It does remind me to not throw in the towel, and when I've reached that breaking point, I have to keep going through the motions of believing and calling on God's promises until they finally happen, even if I'm not feeling it. Feelings are deceiving, but God's truth is not. He is faithful--there is not a doubt in my mind.
In the meantime, I have to keep putting one foot in front of the other following the path He has for me. I'm interested to see what He has waiting for me at the end of this trial. In the meantime, I'm going to dig that book back out and remind myself of what's in it to power me up for this fight. Thank God for these spiritually strong evangelists who have a keen insight, wisdom, and direction that God gives them to pass on to the masses.
If you're struggling with your mind, and you know it's not just you conjuring up these bad thoughts, and you're having a difficult time fighting, get this book--you won't be sorry.
Food for thought. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete