Saturday, April 16, 2011

Blessings and Goals

While talking to a friend, our husbands came into the room and recognized that we were talking about aging. My friend's husband asked, "What is it about this age (the 40ish age)?" I pondered about this question and although the answer may be different for everybody, for me it's the point of life when I've recognized all of the things I've wanted to do but haven't yet, and I'm at the age where I need to start doing some of them before I'm too physically old, or while I have the means and resources to do them. Let's face it--I'm middle aged. Considering the lifespan of what most people have, if I live to be 80, then I'm smack dab in the middle and these first 40 years went by so fast, I can't imagine how quickly the next years will pass.

When you're younger, you have "goals", but as you age, they become part of your "bucket list". If you're not familiar with that term, it means your goals that you want to accomplish before you kick the bucket, or die. You look at them all and start checking them off and then want to move on to the next one. Do you know the show Wipeout? Last night there was a 19 year old who said she was on the show to check it off her bucket list and the female host was amazed that the 19 year old had or even knew what a bucket list was, let alone had one because she was too young.  Then there was the famous movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman called The Bucket List. These were two elderly men who were dieing and decided to partner up and help make all of their bucket list dreams come true in what little time they had.

As you think of your goals, sometimes discontentment can creep up because it might make you unhappy thinking about what you haven't done yet, or what you may never get to do, and you forget about all of the things that you have been blessed to do so far in life. You may have to even conscientiously stop and make yourself count your blessings. Do it and as the song says, "Name them one by one." Say them out loud if you have to so you can hear them if that will help you focus. But, at the same time, it's okay to strive for your goals. However, also recognize the fact that some goals may never be reached, but you may be able to adjust them, or make new goals. Write them down--what you've done and what you hope to do; any adjustments that might be made to some of them, or any that may need to be removed from an existing list. I think this is a good thing to do when discontentment starts creeping up and you "feel" like you haven't done anything with your life, when in fact you "know" you have. I bet that'll bring a smile back to your face, and joy back into your heart.

Count Your Blessings by Johnson Oatman Jr.
 
When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
*Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.
[*And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.]

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings—wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

*Alternate text.

No comments:

Post a Comment