Friday, October 22, 2010

Can't Judge a Book By Its Cover

Took the kiddos to get haircuts today at my favorite place. It's a school, but the students are so well supervised that I have no fears going there. For about my last three hair appointments now I have watched a young man who is one of the student stylists putting large objects (disks) in his earlobes and watched those lobes grow bigger and bigger. Okay, now I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but I have seen other "youngsters" in the world doing this, as well. Today was something new, though. This stylist had actual pop can tops in his lobes. I don't mean the pop can tabs, I mean it was like he had sawed off the whole circular tops of pop cans, put black tape around the sharp edges so they didn't cut him, and stuck them in his lobes. His lobes were humongous!

Daughter was already in the chair chatting away with her stylist getting a fresh trimmed bob with bangs--so cute, by the way--and Son and I were patiently waiting for his name to be called. Well, the DLS (disked-lobed-student) was working on another client's hair a few chairs down from Daughter and well, let's just say, it's hard not to stare. Son kept looking at DLS's ears and asking questions about them. I really didn't know how to answer and just had to keep reminding Son not to stare. Well, after 20 minutes of wondering why Son hadn't been seen yet, I found out from the receptionist that DLS was the one who was going to cut Son's hair and he was just running a little behind with the current client. Son's eyes got really big when I told him this because at first, Son thought DLS looked a little strange and he didn't want him to be the stylist, but as we had been waiting we had talked about what would happen if DLS ended up being Son's stylist, and lo and behold, this is what happened.

Before the haircut began, I had noticed something else on DSL's arm--tattoos of the number 3 1 6. I asked Son what he thought that could mean and he said our telephone area code, and began to rattle off our phone number. I laughed and laughed, because that had never entered my mind, but he was correct in that could be a possibility--who knows? I then asked Son if it could possibly mean John 3:16? That hadn't entered Son's mind, but he thought maybe that could be it. Thankfully, we then went on to have a great discussion about how we can't judge people by the way they look. Just because they might look a little "weird" to us, doesn't mean they aren't Christ followers. I told him we need to look at people with loving eyes like God would. I then reminded him of all of the books we have read about different Christian missionaries and how the native people in those countries looked very different, but it doesn't mean it has to be weird. I told Son that if DLS asked him if he was curious about the disks or the tattoos that Son should say yes, and maybe he would find out more about what was going on. That didn't happen, but Son wants DLS to be his stylist next time, so you never know, maybe more information will come out at the next haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment