Nothing humbles me more than thinking of people who give their lives for causes. And I don't mean just any cause like saving a tree; no, I am thinking of people who risk their lives to protect other people, sometimes losing their lives. As a parent, I would not hesitate to give my life for my children. I'm sure I'd do it for my husband, too. But, would I be able to give my life for someone who was not a member of my immediate family? Would I be willing to do it for a country of people because I believed in that country and its ideals and wanted to protect it with everything I have? Honestly, I don't know for sure. I think it takes a special kind of person to volunteer to do something like this.
Yet, that is what people in our military do, whether they are active, in the reserves, or have already served. What a huge responsibility they have! Then, if they have families of their own, let's not forget the sacrifice that those families have to make, too. To me, it's mind-boggling, and so humbling. I could even extend this to include police officers, firefighters, and anyone else who puts their lives at risk just to protect me and other people.
We owe these people a debt of gratitude that can probably never be paid. I so wish there was more I could do to thank them other than pray for them and their loved ones, or write a little tiny blog post that wouldn't even make a dent in that huge debt I owe them. If you happen to be a veteran, or family member of a veteran reading this, I really want to thank you for your service and sacrifice. You have no idea how much I appreciate it--words can't even say it accurately. God bless you all!!
No comments:
Post a Comment