Tuesday, November 23, 2010

End Of Semester Program

Last night we had our homeschool co-op's semester closing program. None of Cool Dude's (CD) classes were performing or displaying any class work, but Princess had an aquarium box to display and sang 3 songs from 2 different classes. I LOVE homeschooling. I know, I've talked about wanting to pull my hair out at times, and yes, there have been times I have wondered what it would be like if my kids were in public or private school, but God has put it in my spirit that homeschooling is what I am to be doing with my kids, so we carry on and enjoy the good times and the progressions and growth--like last night.

I LOVE our co-op. Every parent must volunteer to teach a class and/or work as helpers in the classrooms. Teaching is in my blood (I graduated college with an elementary ed degree and taught in public school), and so I love to teach when I can. There have been semesters when I have opted not to teach and just help in classrooms. Otherwise, I usually teach classes that Cool Dude or Princess need, which I think is what most of us parents do. Our kids need a certain subject taught at home, so why not volunteer to teach that subject to more students at co-op. CD needed astronomy taught, so I taught an astronomy class to 3rd and 4th graders this semester and it was so much fun. Next semester I am teaching a poetry class to 1st graders who are struggling to read, because I need to do that with Princess and I think it will be fun for other students as well.

Okay, now I need to get back on track of what this post is supposed to be about--last night's end of semester program. There was a lot of singing last night. The choir class sang two Christian songs, and the little ones sang songs and recited scripture. One of the beginning Chinese classes sang Jesus Loves Me in Chinese. A piano student played Amazing Grace. The French teacher talked about how one of her hopes for her students was to go to French speaking countries as missionaries. Plus, there was so much more. You just would not be able to get this in a public school, and I was so moved and happy and blessed to be at last night's program.

No comments:

Post a Comment