Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Eve

I love Thanksgiving. I never want to put up any kind of Christmas decorations, or even listen to holiday music until the day after Thanksgiving because I never want Thanksgiving to be overlooked. I always have so much to be thankful for, but at the same time I also get melancholy at this time of year, and the reason being because God has put on me such a love for those less fortunate and I start to feel really sad for them.

As I was driving around town yesterday, I was seeing people walking and there was one particular person where the Spirit told me to pray for someone because that person was not out for a leisurely stroll, he had no car and was walking to go get some necessary shopping done. I couldn't help but wonder what else was behind that person's story, and all I could do was pray for him. Then at Princess's dance class last night, the teacher was talking to Cool Dude to see if he would help out with one of the songs at her upcoming recital. He would be pretending to be a son writing a letter to his dad who was away in the military during holiday time and I was tearing up listening to the song because I was thinking of all of those men and women and their families who wouldn't be together this holiday season. Then, KLOVE was having a drive to raise money to feed African children and some of the stories of those starving, plus those giving brought me to tears. Sometimes it is just so hard to be thankful for all I have when I think of those who don't have, and why does that have to sting even more at the holidays? Maybe it's because to me, at the holidays, I would rather be with those less fortunate. I want to be at the soup kitchens helping to serve meals, I want to be at the hospitals or nursing homes bringing some company to the lonely. Holidays would be so much more meaningful to me if I was helping others. This is not all to say that I am not thankful for what I have, in fact I think if I was helping others, it would make me even that much more thankful to the Lord for what I have, and really remind me not to take it for granted.

I am so much a doer. If I say I'm going to do something then I do it--I just don't talk about it. However, no matter how much I want to do for others, I sometimes can't. I know that God wants my family out of debt, so that is where most of our money is going to right now. We do give to certain things, and as much as I want to for so many other things, if God is not prompting me to, then I don't. Then, to have such a strong force of justice in me, I can get frustrated or even angry at the way things are in this world. I just have to keep reminding myself that God is in control. But, boy oh boy, isn't that scripture about the harvest being plenty, but the workers are few, so real in today's society? As much as I want to go out and save the world, God hasn't called me to do that. Instead, He wants me to keep on doing what I am already doing which is listening for His voice and acting on what He wants me to do--whether it's talking to someone, praying for someone, or giving money or other material goods to someone. I must be obedient to Him.

Boy, writing all of this sure has been therapeutic for me. Instead of stewing about things in my mind, it has helped me sort it all out and bring those thoughts back to God. It has also helped me remember that I do need to think of others, but at the same time be thankful for the blessings God has given me. It has helped relieve me of frustrations and helped me bring back joy to my Spirit. Thank you God that you are in control. Thank you God that as long as your people will listen to your voice and be obedient, that we can all do whatever work you appoint us to do. Thank you God for the plans you have for my life. Thank you God for all that you have given to me.

I could put up song lyrics that would be definitely appropriate for Thanksgiving like Count Your Blessings (and maybe I will tomorrow), but for some reason Safe is the song I keep singing to myself yesterday and today. It is one of my most favorite songs--to me the words are POWERFUL! Below are the lyrics, and this song is on my playlist above, so click on the song to listen to it, and read along with the words. However you will be spending Thanksgiving, I really do hope that some of that time will be helping or thinking of others, as well as giving Thanks for all of your blessings. I know this is kind of a downer post, but I bet tomorrow's will be a lot happier. So, until then (go click on the song and enjoy)...

To the one who's dreams are falling all apart
And all you're left with is a tired and broken heart
I can tell by your eyes you think your on your own
but you're not all alone

Have you heard of the One who can calm the raging seas
Give sight to the blind, pull the lame up to their feet
With a love so strong He'll never let you go
oh you're not alone

Chorus:
You will be safe in His arms
You will be safe in His arms
'Cause the hands that hold the world are holding your heart
This is the promise He made
He will be with You always
When everything is falling apart
You will be safe in His arms

Verse 2:
Did you know that the voice that brings the dead to life
Is the very same voice that calls you to rise
So hear Him now He's calling you home
You will never be alone

Bridge:
These are the hands that built the mountains
the hands that calm the seas
These are the arms that hold the heavens
they are holding you and me

These are hands that healed the leper
Pulled the lame up to their feet
These are the arms that were nailed to a cross
to break our chains and set us free

No comments:

Post a Comment