I love homeschooling! We have done it since Son, our oldest, was 4 years old. Yes, it has its challenges, but for the most part, I love it. We never push this form of education on anyone, but it is what we chose and it has worked great for us. On top of that, before we decided to homeschool, I taught public elementary school--and I loved it. I didn't love all of the testing, and objectives, and in-services that came with the job, but I loved working with the kids. I knew from the time I was in 4th grade I wanted to be a teacher. It is a God given gift of mine. Whenever I take a spiritual gifts test, teaching is always my number 1 gift. It really is in my blood, and I am so happy when I am teaching.
I was talking with someone last night about homeschooling. For a while now, Hubby and I have always said that we would let our kids go to public high school if they wanted to. Son will be a 9th grader in 5 years which seems far away, but yet seems so close, and as I was discussing this last night, I realized that I may be changing my mind about the high school thing. We always said our kids could choose public high school if they wanted to because I was not sure I could teach those upper level subjects. But, as we continue on in our journey, and as I watch what other homeschooling friends are doing with older children, I realize that there are different alternatives I have--at least if things are still the same way in 5 years as they are now.
Some older children attend public high school for some classes, and then continue at home with other subjects. There are so many on-line schools where my children can work with another teacher for subjects. We have been part of a homeschool co-op for a few years that I really enjoy where the teachers are us parents and it offers many high school subjects taught by qualified homeschooling parents. When I think of these different alternatives and as I watch other parents successfully help their teens through the high school years, I'm thinking that maybe we can do this.
I could go on and on and on about why I love homeschooling, but I'll save those topics for another post sometime. In the meantime, I'll just keep on enjoying the time I have with my children as I help them through their schooling at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment