Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Finding Joy in Stages

There are some people who get so sad over watching their children grow up. Some even get the itch to want more children because their desire to have a little one around the house is so overwhelming and that void needs to be filled with child after child. I can't completely empathize with those feelings because I don't share them to that extent.

Hubby and I knew that two little ones were going to be the right number of children for us, and I am the kind of mom who enjoys watching her children grow up and enjoys every single stage in their lives. I learn from them every day and enjoy teaching them every day. Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go. Even when he is old he will not depart from it." I love my job of helping my children discover what gifts, talents, skills, etc. the Lord has instilled in them so they can figure out how all of that will play into their adult lives and how they will use it all to live for God.

I was scrap booking today and I just loved seeing the pictures of my two kiddos when they were babies, toddlers and preschoolers, but I wasn't weepy or mourning those times. It sure made me smile, though. They are both elementary age now and this is a great time! For example, Son is gone all week to church camp having the time of his life, and Daughter got to spend 26 hours with a friend of hers having fun and sleeping over. This left me and Hubby able to go to a movie on a Monday night, and gave me some personal time.That's a huge thing because any dates or personal time have been few and far between for us for years. But, now that we have helped Son and Daughter grow into the ages of being more independent and able to be away from mom and dad more often,  Hubby and I are reveling in the times we get to be with each other. Also, the times that the kids are starting to be away from us more is great practice for everybody for the future when it comes time for the kids to be out in the world on their own. However, I'm not quite ready to think that far ahead; I know that that stage will come way too soon. I just want to enjoy the stage of life my kids are in right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment