Friday, July 30, 2010

Vanity

Vanity: excessive pride in one's appearance. Why, oh why, can I not be content with my hair? I am blessed (?) with fine, straight hair that has always driven me nuts. I have basically had the same hairstyle forever because every time I've tried something new, it just doesn't look good. I so wish I had the type of hair that would look good long or short, with or without bangs, and would hold a curl or wave for longer than an hour. Now, I've resorted to coloring my hair because I feel that I am too young to have gray hair--I have two elementary aged children after all, I'm not ready to start looking like a grandma yet. What areas of your appearance do you so wish you could change and are never happy with?

I so often think of women 150 years ago; especially farming women. Did any of them have to worry about shaving their legs or arm pits? How about if their face broke out, or their hair began graying in their 30s? A lot of the time they only took baths about once a week, didn't have indoor plumbing, and they worked so hard in the fields or in farm houses that didn't have air conditioning--can you imagine the body odor and other smells? Maybe they didn't wash their hair often and deodorant might not have existed, but maybe there were ways they combated all of the dinginess and odors that our society just doesn't realize any more. Now a days we use anti-perspirant to stop our sweat glands from sweating and smelling, and spend money to color our hair which we then have to turn around and buy special hair coloring shampoo and conditioner to ensure our color lasts as long as possible.

The reason I'm writing all of this is because yesterday I went and had a facial. Why did I do it??? Well, one reason is because I had friends who had done it and they loved it. Another reason was because I got it for half the price. Was it worth it? It may be too hard to tell right now. It did help with a problem area I had and even Hubby noticed a difference. Part of me wonders if I did it for a repressed vanity reason since I'm growing older and want my smooth, young looking face back. Maybe....?????

Are all of these beauty regimens now-a-days helpful to us or hindrances? When does a person know they are crossing the line to true vanity--when they begin plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons vs. medical? Are there lessons from those farm women 150 years ago that we can learn from? I don't know, but I have a feeling that I will never be content with my hair no matter what I do to it. But, as long as I'm not having a breakdown if I have to run to the grocery store without looking my best because I need an ingredient for the dinner I am making and I am afraid of running into somebody I know and be devastated, then I think I'm doing okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment