Hubby and Son just got back today from a 3 day scout camp. It was funny how many people asked me if I had heard from them while they were gone. No, even though they had their cell phone with them, we were not in contact--they were at camp having fun; why would they want to call home? It dawned on me that so many people are living in such a technological world that they are constantly, constantly in touch with people all of the time.
I love being able to have a cell phone and a facebook account, but if I don't use those tools for a while, it doesn't bother me--I don't have withdrawal like it seems so many other people do. I will readily admit that I am technologically illiterate--I don't know how to use all of these fancy inventions that exist. Hubby understands it all and 9 year old Son has to help me out sometimes when it comes to the computer, dvd player, ipod, etc., and this is not an exaggeration. When I was 9 none of this stuff existed. We had plenty of time to play outside, in our rooms, and there was no such thing as cable tv that tried to vie for out attention and make us sit on the couch all of the time.
Maybe I'm in the minority now-a-days? I still like to curl up with a book and receive birthday cards by snail mail vs. email. I know that it is important to keep up with technology, but when does it become too much? Even God tells us to be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10), and He said this to people who lived without all of these technological, time consuming, distracting advances. I wonder what He thinks of all of us today? Are you so eager to get on your iphone or computer every free minute you find instead of taking some of those minutes to spend with God by praying or reading His word? Just something to think about.....
P.S. Daughter and I had a very good 3 days together while our guys were away.
No comments:
Post a Comment