Friday, July 2, 2010

The Secret of the Lord

I started reading a book last night that I had first read a few years ago. It is called The Secret of the Lord by Dannah Gresh, and it's a great book. The book's theme verse is Psalm 25:14: God-friendship is for God-worshipers; they are the ones He confides in (Message version). Wow! Don't you want to be a friend of God and let Him show you things? I do! Also, don't you love it when you can read a book more than once and you learn new things each time you read it--that's what's happening to me. The first time I read this book was for information about knowing God better; this time it's to help me understand better how to reach a new relationship level with God.

I read chapter two this morning and when I was finished I was visibly shaking and holding back tears. Chapter two is scary--it asks you if you are ready to fight the enemy! Oh yes, if you truly, truly believe in God, the God of the Holy Bible, there is never any black and white when it comes to things--there is an enemy and his name is satan and he has an army ready to fight you. But, he will only fight you if you are making a move to become closer to God in some way. If you are a complacent Christian only going through the motions of what you think a Christian should be doing, but you are not putting your heart into it, than satan is not going to attack you because you are not a threat. But when you desire to take the next step you become a threat that satan wants to stop.

I have fought satan's huge attacks a few time in my 10 years that I have considered myself a Christian. Most of the time they are lengthy battles; I have had two battles that both lasted 9 months each and one was as recent as last year! I won't go into any details right now, maybe another time, but I know that satan is starting his attack on me. Let me say that one way the enemy has personally attacked me is through my children.

Now, if you know me, you know that I am blunt and truthful. If you don't know me or are new to the faith, you may find this hard to believe, but the following story is true. About two years ago for a time span of six weeks, between Son, Daughter, and myself we alternated being sick. No one was ever sick at the same time, and we all had a different illness each week. Because of this weird pattern I knew this was not some weird coincidence going on, this was spiritual. Why? Because I was involved in a Beth Moore women's Bible study at church and it was awesome teaching me many things. The enemy was threatened.

If you are close to God then you know He can reveal Himself to you in many ways. During this time He revealed Himself to me in a dream. I kept telling Hubby that this was spiritual warfare I was in, but he just wasn't sure about that. Maybe because Hubby was THE only person in the family not getting sick at all--he wasn't being attacked so didn't notice it as spiritual warfare. So, I was fighting this on my own. In my dream, a stranger came into our house while everyone was asleep. He wanted to fight. He entered my bedroom. Before the fight began I demanded he keep my kids out of this fight and I went and closed their bedroom doors. Then the physical struggle began. I was fighting with all of my might and yelling for Hubby to wake up. After a while Hubby finally woke up and helped defeat this enemy in our house. Do you get the picture? A stranger had entered our house (the enemy) and wanted to fight physically (the illnesses); Hubby was sleeping and didn't know what was going on (I was trying to convince him this was spiritual) until the very end of the fight and then he woke up and was able to help me stop this enemy by fighting with me (praying for the illness to stop). Freaky, but true.

But, what completely stopped the illnesses was at church on Sunday morning at the end of the six weeks when I was totally exhausted from all of the illnesses we were experiencing, everyone was standing and singing and I just felt God telling me to give it all to Him--He would fight for me. I felt a pressure on top of me pressing me down to kneel on the floor. I was resisting and then the tears came. But, I finally gave in and went to the floor on my knees. Then, the greatest thing of all happened: God told me, "I have your kids." It was said in the most loving, reassuring way and then peace just flooded me. I was so grateful! The Maker of Heaven and earth had my kids--he was battling for my kids, my kids were in His hands. They were safe! After all of this, the enemy left me and my kids alone.

Well, back to chapter two's question of am I prepared to fight the enemy. Yes, and no. I will do it, but right now I'm scared. Already today attack has started. I'm scared of what could happen to me, Hubby, or kids. My imagination is trying to get the best of me to produce fear: don't leave the house because you're safer at home than driving in your car; don't mention what's going on to anyone because they won't believe you and they'll think you're nuts. Do I think I believe I'm having a bad day, or do you think it's spiritual warfare? I guess we'll find out as the days progress. But you know what, it's okay that I am scared. I wrote two women who are so ground in Gods' word and are able to help me fight and they both are standing with me to take on this fight that has started.

Like I've said before, I'm not good at remembering scripture references, but God gave me a reminder of what else has helped me fight in the past and that is worship music. I love contemporary Christian music and a ton of it is based on scripture, or even has scripture in the lyrics and as I sing those songs that is a way to fight satan. The enemy can't stand to be around people who are singing and worshiping God.

God is on my side. If you need more reassurance that God is on your side, read Psalm 23 and 24. David is crying out for God to help him fight his enemies. He's scared. Guess what? God helps David! God will help me! God will help you! Are you letting fear keep you from taking your walk with God to a higher level. God will help you fight. Believe it, and don't let the enemy keep you scared of taking that next step to learn the secret of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment