Monday, June 28, 2010

Homeschooling

I love homeschooling! It's great to be able to do something with my kids during the hot summer days. If you're thinking, "I can't believe she's making her kids do school during the summer!", think about it this way: we only do about 1 hour in the morning, and it's a great way to keep them from bickering for a while for them to keep everything fresh in their minds before the next grade level starts in the fall.

I also love homeschooling because it's a way for me to utilize the gift of teaching that God instilled in me. I graduated college with an elementary education degree and knew I wanted to be a teacher from the time I was in 4th grade. I taught for a brief time in the public schools before I became a stay-at-home mom. There was a time I didn't know if I would ever get to use my teaching gift again because my husband was not for homeschooling until our oldest was 3 years old. He's glad we do it now. There are good and bad days, but most are good and bring me such joy. We have nothing against public school  and if our kids had to go to public school some day it would not be the end of the world. Homeschooling is not for everyone, but it's working out well for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment